Will you go out with me? Will you marry me? Do you want to have kids? The questions we ask each other have the power to change the course of our lives forever.
Today I am super excited to talk to the world renowned Frank Sesno about the power of questions and how we can use questions to better communicate with our children and be better parents. Frank Sesno is an Emmy award winning journalist with a career spanning over 3 decades. For over 20 years, he was the White House correspondent, anchor, and Washington Bureau Chief for CNN. He is now Director of the School of Media and Public Affairs at George Washington University and author of the best selling book, Ask More - the power of questions to open doors, uncover solutions and spark change. Former colleague Anderson Cooper says of the book “Ask More is an essential guide to asking questions in a way that can better achieve your goals.”
Frank and his wife Kathy have 3 children - Matt, Chris and Emily. In our discussion we draw upon Frank’s experience as a father and an expert questioner to figure out how we can use questions to communicate better with our children and ultimately, be better parents. I hope you enjoy our talk as much as we did.
You can read more about Frank and his wonderful book "Ask More" on his site www.franksesno.com
In this episode we cover:
- The best questions to ask your children at the dinner table.
- How to use empathy questions to nurture your relationship with your child.
- How making an "appointment" with your child can help you manage your own emotions when talking with him.
- The biggest mistakes we make when "listening" to our children and how to be a better listener
- How to use echo questions and other bridging questions to get your child to talk more
- And much, much more....